Who We Are
The Pennsylvania Bar Foundation, the 501(c)(3) charitable affiliate of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, was incorporated in 1984 in response to the organized bar’s desire to become more involved in public service. The financial support of Foundation is generated almost exclusively from voluntary contributions.
We work to increase the public’s understanding of the law and its appreciation of democracy and strive to ensure that citizens, particularly Pennsylvania ‘s most vulnerable, have full access to our legal system. We accomplish our mission by making grants, seeking financial support from individuals and organizations both within and outside of the legal community, and encouraging bar members to donate their time, talent and expertise in service to the public.
A Board of Directors consisting of 23 voting members manages the Foundation. Elected Zone Directors may serve a maximum of two consecutive three-year terms. All other directors hold office for one year.
The Board is comprised of:
- One director elected from each of the 12 zones from which the Pennsylvania Bar Association elects members of its Board of Governors
- Two directors, who need not be lawyers, are appointed by the President-elect of the Pennsylvania Bar Association to serve during the President-elect’s Presidency
- One director, who need not be a lawyer, appointed by the President of the Pennsylvania Bar Foundation
- The President of the Pennsylvania Bar Institute or his/her designee
- The Chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Young Lawyers Division or his/her designee
- The President of the Pennsylvania Bar Association
- The President, Vice-president, Treasurer and Secretary of the Pennsylvania Bar Foundation and the Immediate Past President
There are presently ten committees that help the Foundation carry out its mission and most meet by telephone conference call. Each would benefit from your energy, talent and expertise.
There are four categories of Foundation membership. Full membership meetings are held annually in conjunction with the Annual Meeting of the Pennsylvania Bar Association.