Joseph T. McDonald Memorial Scholarships
The Joseph T. McDonald Memorial Scholarship Program, established in 2013, provides a $3,000 scholarship to a fulltime, 3L Pennsylvania resident involved in the Penn State Dickinson School of Law trial advocacy program.
The scholarship is awarded annually, on a competitive basis. In 2015, students attending both Dickinson Law and Penn State Law will be eligible to apply; however in the future, the scholarship may be limited to Dickinson Law students.
To qualify, applicants must be:
- Enrolled as a fulltime student at the Penn State Dickinson School of Law;
- 3L/Third year student;
- Pennsylvania resident as documented by applicant’s voter registration card or Pennsylvania driver’s license;
- Involved in the trial advocacy program as affirmed by student and evidenced by unofficial academic transcript;
- Interested in pursuing trial advocacy after graduation as discussed in the applicant’s 250- 500-word essay and evidenced by the applicant’s recommendations; and
- A member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Law Student Division which is free for electronic members. Sign-up Here
Applications are due December 1, 2015, and the scholarship will be awarded by December 31, 2015
Christopher McCabe – 2014 Joseph T. McDonald Memorial Scholarship Recipient
Mr. McCabe is a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Pittsburgh, where he received a B.A. in Political Science with a minor in History and a minor in Legal Studies. The 2015 Juris Doctorate candidate is the team captain of the National Trial Team, a pupil of the Hon. William W. Lipsitt American Inns of Court, a student member of the St. Thomas More Society, a senior advocate on the Moot Court Board, an advocate in the John J. Gibbons, Criminal Procedure Moot Court Competition and a member of Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, International. Mr. McCabe received a CALI Award for Highest Grade in Pennsylvania Criminal Law Practice and is a recipient of the Gwilym A. Price, Jr. Memorial Scholarship. A certified legal intern, Mr. McCabe serves as a Senior Law Clerk for the Cumberland County Public Defenders Office. He has served as a legal intern for the Hon. Beth A. Lazzara of the Allegheny County Count of Common Pleas, Criminal Division, and as a legislative intern for the Hon. Matthew H. Smith.
Lindsay A. Berkstresser – 2013 Joseph T. McDonald Memorial Scholarship Recipient
Ms. Berkstresser is a summa cum laude graduate of Shippensburg University, where she received a B.A. in Business Administration, and a 2014 Juris Doctorate candidate. As a second-year law student, Ms. Berkstresser placed first for the plaintiff’s attorney in the Law School’s Mock Trial Competition. She is a senior advocate on the Moot Court Board, competes on the ABA National Appellate Advocacy Team, and is actively involved in promoting the Law School’s Trial Advocacy Program as vice president of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) for the Carlisle campus. She is also the law student representative of the PBA YLD, and was one of the 2012 recipients of the Pennsylvania Bar Foundation’s James W. Stoudt Memorial Scholarship awards.
What We Do
- Civics and Law-related Education
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Access to Justice
- Loan Repayment Assistance Program
- Birdsall Impact Grants Program
- James W. Stoudt Memorial Scholarships
- Joseph T. McDonald Memorial Scholarships
- Named Scholarship Program
- Donor-Advised Fund Opportunities