The Pennsylvania Bar Foundation is seeking nominations for the Louis J. Goffman Award. This award recognizes an individual or organization whose commitments to pro bono have enhanced the delivery of legal services to Pennsylvania’s poor and disadvantaged. Since 1989, the Louis J. Goffman Award has recognized and rewarded people and organizations whose donations of time, talent and expertise serve as a model to be emulated by other legal professionals and organizations. The 2019 Louis J. Goffman Awards will be presented during the PBA Annual meeting May 15-17 in Lancaster. Any Pennsylvania-based person or organization involved in the provision of volunteer legal services is eligible. This includes large and small firms, corporate law departments, government attorney offices, county bar associations, law schools and other legal services entities whose members, either collectively or individually, have demonstrated excellence in one or more of the following categories:
- Dedication to the development and delivery of legal services to the poor through a pro bono program
- Significant work towards the development of innovative approaches to the delivery of volunteer legal services
- Active participation in a program/ project that satisfied a previously unmet or underserved legal need of a particular group of Pennsylvanians
- Successful litigation of a pro bono case that enhanced the delivery of other services to the poor
- Successful pursuit of legislation that significantly enhanced the provision of legal services to the poor
- Consideration will also be given to the length and intensity of service and the effort in context to the size of the organization.
Nomination deadline is April 15. For a nomination form and more information, go to http://www.pabarfoundation.org/what-we-do/louis-j-goffman-awards/.